March 5, 2015

Faith, in yourself!


(TISA interviewed Soma, a Kolkata SHG member, now doing P. hd in IISc Banglore. Very inspiring for all of us! Read on... Ed.)
Myself Soma Roy. In this interview I want to share something with all you guys.
I am really very lucky to have very supportive parents. My father is an agent in LICI and my mother is a classical singer. I have a cute brother who is very brilliant student. He stood 13th in the Higher Secondary examination in West Bengal. He is in first year in Physics hons. in Belur Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandir.
After passing the 12th exam from Siliguri Girls’ High School, I came to Kolkata for higher education in 2009. I got admitted in my dreamed Jadavpur University in Chemistry subject. I passed both B.Sc (2012) and M.Sc (2014) from Jadavpur University. I got 55th­ rank in all India GATE exam and 48th rank in CSIR-NET in 2014.
Now, I am a research scholar in the renowned Indian Institute of Science (IISc). After competing with many students from all over India, I got through in IISc. I want to devote my education in the Cancer research field and I want to help the whole society.
I was always in toppers’ batch in my school. But I never went to any debate competition or any exhibition in my school days - even though I am a very ambitious girl! After 12th exam, I decided to go to Kolkata (Kolkata is 550 km far from my hometown Siliguri!). I applied to 5 colleges and got chance in every college- among which I chose Jadavpur University as it was my dream to get admission there. My parents were very very supportive. My idol is my father who went to Kolkata with me and told me that he can cross every barrier for my education. As my family condition was not well at that time, I was little worried about my education, but later I got INSPIRE-DST scholarship from central government which almost ended my tension with the same.
Now, the real thing is that I am a stammerer. Earlier I thought that it must be some problem of my tongue, but I was surprised that when I sing, I never stammer! It can be a simple problem for others, but for me, it represented everything, stopping me from a happy contented life! Gradually it increased and began eroding my self-confidence. But I never lost hope. I practiced some traditional speech therapy and boost up my confidence myself. My father helps me a lot. Whenever I feel low, I remind him. He told me a simple thing that to write the advantages and disadvantages of mine in one page. I found some 14-15 advantages and just one disadvantage i.e stammering! Then, I thought how this one disadvantage can destroy me from inside. From that day, I determined that I will never give up my hope.
I had to compete with students from all over India for getting admission in IISc. Now, I have got the best lab here and I am very happy with my work. But it was not so easy at that time. I was worried about the interview as I had to face a bunch of professors at a time. I practiced slow reading, mirror talking etc. I didn’t give up hope for a single day. As the result, my name was at the top of the list and I got admitted to IISc...
Now-a-days my life has changed a lot. I come in lab at 9.30am and go to hostel at 1am (yes!!!! at night). I have to stay in lab for 14-15 hours everyday (don’t be surprised :-P). I have given 8-9 seminars after coming to IISc. Though I stammer, the extent has been reduced, as I have reduced my speed also. My fear has almost gone and I am becoming confident day by day. I could have been a shy girl, married to a guy after passing graduation, could have had a family, been a good housewife etc. IF I would just hide my stammering. But it is my life and I can and should do whatever I want to do. I wanted to do research and I know that nothing can stop me if I want it heartily. This thought, this realization has changed my life and now I am doing what I always wanted...
I just want to tell other pws that do whatever you guys want and don’t give up confidence. Your life is in your hand...

Editor: Thank you Soma! And a big THANK you to your family, teachers and friends. You have brought up two important things: stammering makes things a little difficult, no doubt - but not impossible. If you set your heart on something, you can do it, as well as others- and as you prove, even better THAN others!
Second thing: society (family, teachers, colleagues, friends etc.) can play a huge role in recovery from stammering mindset. In fact, it appears that Society creates "stammering" and Society again, dissolves it. Disability is largely a social "construct". If society makes up its mind that it will treat a pws no different, then there is no problem left to be solved. This is what we in TISA are hoping to achieve through our small efforts. Thanks again for your precious time and thoughts. Keep charging ahead!


19 comments:

Shailender said...

Really nice post I read 2 times its extremely encourage PWS I just joined TISA 2 months back and I definitely come to Herbertpur this month and ready for every task there.

----Shailender (Delhi)

mukesh singh said...

Its really inspiring and PWS are mostly intelligent and courageous guys :)

Premdeep Godara said...

Faith, in your self... thanks Tisa for such a great, inspirational post... Super like... We should never settle for less in life just because we stammer... :)

Premdeep Godara said...

Faith, in your self... thanks Tisa for such a great, inspirational post... Super like... We should never settle for less in life just because we stammer... :)

Abhay Shanker said...

Its truly inspiring and I hope all pws would have benefitted psychologically. Looking forward for workshop in herbertpur

Abhay Shanker said...

It's truly inspiring and it has really given enough confidence. Looking forward workshop in herbertpur.

jasmeet singh said...

God bless

Mansi said...

Really nice and inspiring. I am proud of her....

abhishek said...

very inspiring write-up for all. it is full of positivity and hope :)

Soma Roy said...

thnks to all of u....ur comments will help me to improve myself

kanpur vikings said...

Really very motivational.......we can dare to dream and then achieve them also...

Sanjib Kumar Talukdar said...

very inspiring write up, will be a source of inspiration for all PWS

Anurag Mishra said...

Very much inspiring.
You are role model for us

Ali Mustafa said...

Sister,
Very very Inspiring and Positive post,
I had learned many thing from this post, thnx for such a awesome post.

Rameshbabu Ginela said...

Good post

Lalit Chawla said...

I am really very pleased that you have the courage enough to accept your stutter in a positive note.

Skt#999 Tripathi said...

Very inspiring & motivational post for every pws

shyam sunder singh said...

Hi Soma !! Congrats for your achievement and your dream came true and your inspiring words !!!!! I could not stop myself from writing to you...I am also from Kolkata and am a motivational speaker & Trainer..............But before this I was a stammerer and I took up this as a challenge and converted my greatest weakness into my greatest strength.Now I want to help the PWS to dream big and achieve. I had also met Kushal in Kolkata in one SHG and shared my experience with other PWS...It was wonderful to make them happy....Hope to meet you in Kolkata with the team if God wanted.....Have you a wonderful time ....GO AHEAD !!!!!

Santanu Sengupta said...

This is one of the most inspiring stories ever in the history of stammering. I personally feel proud as she is coming from West Bengal (Kolkata) and I surely think the entire stuttering fraternity both in India and abroad will feel proud of her. Go ahead Soma. All the best wishes are with you...